Monday, August 27, 2007

What to do?

OK youse, listen up.

I need some input.

I've got about 30 readers in this little list, most of whom are either personal friends (people I have actually met) or people who were longtime readers of TDL or other bloggers. I have no idea how many on the list are regular visitors, but the mix is pretty good, with people who know something about writing, others who know something about politics and others who know something about me.

I've been refitting TDL in preparation for my return to public trouble-making in a month (ooo! Less than a month to go, I keep forgetting!) and am wondering what sort of direction to go in.

I see that Steve has more or less retired from Catholic Tradoblogging, and good on 'im, I say. He makes the excellent point that since the Motu Proprio is out, Benedict has more or less stolen his thunder, or taken the wind out of his sails. War's over, we won,

now what do we do for fun?

Well, Steve wants to try the genteel life of a gentleman farmer and good on 'im again. But see, I'm Irish and life without a fight is just unthinkable.

Since dropping out of the blogging life, I've snuck back in through Orwell's Picnic and am having a fine old time there, just trawling though my dozen or so daily Google News alerts and posting things up with a link and a quippy headline. No rants and it is exclusively about British politics. No religion, no radial symmetry, ducks or Doctor Who. I've been really enjoying it, but feel the urge to rant in public getting stronger.

Now, I've pretty much had the biscuit of Catho-blogging and can't stand the sight of Catho-political blogs any more. All that stuff is being adequately covered anyway by peope like Fr. Tim. Why reinvent the wheel?

Actually, just by Fr. Tim, who does it better than I, or anyone else I've come across.

As it stands now, people were visiting TDL pretty regularly, and, according to the stats I've looked at, still do now and then. So the address is still in people's blogrolls and favourites lists.

What do you think? Should I decant it all back into TDL? Collapse all the British politics, recipes, Shatner, personal stuff, religious mumbling, philosophical blatherings and all that, into one thing and then discontinue this and Orwell's Picnic? Or keep the two separate, one political and one for all the rest of it?

Or (and here's where I'm inclined) de-post the TDL archives, keep the site address, change the masthead to point away from religious topics and turn TDL into Orwell's Picnic, only with a bit more commentary?

Whaddya like?

No comments: