Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Proximate Coolness

One of the many things I like about writing for LifeSite is all the interesting and cool people whose home phone numbers I have in my rolodex.

I talked to Peter Kreeft for about an hour yesterday.

Vision TV's Syncretism "Fundamentally Opposed" to Religious Faith

When we were done, I sent him along the following:

To: peterkreeft
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 4:18 PM
Subject: Canada

Thanks for talking to me today. Something we mentioned stuck in my head and when you said, "No matter what their religions position is, to have that kind of monopoly is incomaptible with a free society."

I'm afraid my reaction was that you were making some very American assumptions about Canada and what Canadians want.

I thought you'd enjoy this quote from a column by David Warren, who is also rather fed up with Canada and the Canadian antipathy to freedom:

"Canadians are an obedient people. We like big government, we like to pay taxes. (We are among the few countries where a party trying to retain national office will use 'they want to cut your taxes' as a scare tactic.)We often applaud ourselves for the patience with which we form queues. And we can't get enough detailed regulations.


PK replied:

Hilary:
If what you say is true, Canadians are a dictator's dream people.
PK


to which Aitchdubya responded,

...sort of takes the fun out of being a dictator though, hey?

2 comments:

Zach said...

Kreeft just figured that out? Michael D. O'Brien spilled the beans about Canada being a dictator's paradise years ago ...

Not that it's much comfort. "Canadians: somewhat more prone to dictatorship than Americans" is only slightly more inspiring than "America: Not as immoral as the Nazis".


peace,

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

I don't just detest this country, despise it with every bit of me that's able, I do'nt feel bad about it.

How can one possibly feel bad about despising something so eminently worthy of it?