Friday, August 24, 2007

Newspeak Watch

So can the Ynglysshe types here tell me if the use of the Newspeak term "head teacher" in the British press means the same thing as the English word "headmaster"?

I'm confused by this, but the dogged determination with which the term is used and the complete absence of the Ynglysshe word "headmaster" makes me think that "head teacher" is one of those little words I have to add to my list of NeverUse. Like "spokesperson".

I got the banning of "spokesperson" made official policy at LifSite.

It's the details, man.

2 comments:

df said...

head t*****r is just what you fear it is. I'm stumpted, because head mistress used to be a perfectly decent title - and in many cases instilled more respect than head master.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

We shall have to ban it then.

Add it to the list.