Monday, August 20, 2007

Grand Old Man of Fleet Street


dead at 94.

Voices from the worlds of politics and journalism have paid tribute to "gentleman journalist" Lord Deedes, who has died aged 94.
"Bill" Deedes was the only man to have edited a national newspaper - the Telegraph - and been in the Cabinet.


No word of a lie, (as they say on the Rock), I was, just last night, wandering around Indigo looking for a biography of Deedes. I figure if there's someone out there whose life and work can teach me to be a real journalist, it's this guy.

He was still working as a roving foreign correspondent, filing reports from Afghanistan, at 86.

When I spoke with Uncle Mike the other day, he said that if I moved to Ynglonde, I would be able to get a full pension. I said that I would rather make a living until the day I can't hold a pen.

One of the things mum used to say about writing is that you can keep doing it until your brain goes. Even if you're a quadro...quadr...qua...if you're paralysed from the neck down, you can get fancy software that lets you keep writing. Good thing too, because if I stopped, I think I'd blow something.

More on Deedes as the days go by. He's a guy I've only just discovered. I think I'd like to be like him when I grow up.

No comments: