Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Golly! Dale, why didn't you tell me before?!



And the minister said his vision of hell is 3 folk singers in a pub near Wells.
Well I've got a vision of urban sprawl.
It's pubs where no one ever sings at all.
And everyone stares at a great big screen,
Overpaid soccer stars, prancing teens,
Australian soap, American rap, Estuary English, baseball caps.
And we learn to be ashamed before we walk,
Of the way we look and the way we talk.
Without our stories, or our songs,
How will we know where we come from?
I've lost St George in the Union Jack,
It's my flag too and I want it back!

5 comments:

DP said...

Um...slipped my mind? Inexorably spreading brain-damage?

I thought you'd glom on to that song in particular (a classic in my book, too).

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Yeah, I'm kind of glad there's no thingy on YouTube telling you how many times at a sitting yo'uve watched a particular vid.

It'd be pretty embarrassing I think.

Unknown said...

I had a really strong reaction to this too.

It's not a very good song, and I'm not English. But you know what did it to me? That girl on her boyfriend's shoulders at the end. Non angli sed angeli.

She ought to be cherished and she ought to be the mother of many, and what are the chances?

Zach said...

Dale,

"Curse you, Aqua-Scum!!!!"

Now I'm going to have to put that one on replay loop too ...


peace,

DP said...

Zach:

Glad to help!

Consider it justice for the real estate listing emails.