Friday, August 17, 2007

Starting off on the right foot

E. wrote:
I am writing to advise you of a splendid and solemn occasion next month. It is the bicentenary requiem of de jure King Henry IX (aka the Cardinal Duke of York), which will be celebrated with much pomp at noon on Saturday, 22nd September, in the Order of Malta church, Grove End Road, St John's Wood.

The official notice of the event is attached. It is under the auspices of the Royal Stuart Society and certain Stuart dignatories it is expected will attend, including H.G. the Duke of St Albans (Governor-General of the Society) and Lord Aylmer. We have a bishop to pontificate and other prelates in choir. For the catafalque, a royal mantle, garter insignia, cappa magna and galero will all be required! All are invited to drinks afterwards in the Chancellory.
I do hope you can attend.

Kind regards,
E.


To which Aitchdubya responds:

Hmmm... sounds like I can be there for it.

But tell me,

where's St. John's Wood?

I suppose I will need a hat.


E again:
Or a tiara. It is in London, pretty central but slightly to the north-west. The Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, in which the Conventual Church of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta sits, is only 2 mins. walk from St John's Wood tube station, on the Jubilee Line.

I hope to see you then. I shall be conducting the choir!

E.

No comments: