Saturday, May 12, 2007

Just When You Thought You'd Got It All Nailed Down

Life. It just keeps being mundane and banal, despite our best efforts to focus only on the Big Picture, the End of the World, the Collapse of Western Civilization and the Coming Apocalypse.

What has been occupying my thoughts for the last fifteen minutes of this Tremendous Earth-Cracking Crisis Period?

My curtain rods.

When I bought them, they were a temporary measure. Got the cheap kind from the local hardware store because there is a streetlight that shines directly into my face when I am trying to sleep at night. Plus, I was tired of dressing in the bathroom.

Last night the hook that holds them up in the middle popped mysteriously out of the plaster above the window frame into which I inexpertly screwed it and the rod is sagging four inches below the place where the hook was and is irrepe..irrepara...so bent it can't be fixed. Gotta finally go to the curtain rod store and buy curtain rods and install them properly. Hope the world doesn't end before I can do that.

It reminds me of a C.S. Lewis thing, (almost everything reminds me of C.S.Lewis, sorry Kathy)when the children are escaping the White Witch with the Beavers. Mr. Beaver and the children were ready to rush outside with only their coats. Mrs. Beaver knew that life's banalities are what it is really about. She calmly packed them supper and supplies for their journey, despite that the Witch was bearing down on them within the hour with murder on her mind.

It reminds me of a Shatner moment too. Kirk, his ex-girlfriend and son and assorted cast members have been trapped inside the Genesis asteroid by Khan, who is off to commit unknown mayhem with his little purloined Federation ship, having, after twenty years, finally had his revenge on his nemesis.

Kirk, gets off the phone after uttering his undying line (you know what it is...) and, with an almost imperceptible shrug, says, "I'm starved. Got anything to eat down here?"

Life isn't about ecstasies.

No comments: