Thursday, May 31, 2007

Gen X

I tried to read Coupland's book. Everyone did, but I found it a terrible snore. Frivolous, is what I would call it now. I felt obliged though, since he was a Vancouverite and was writing about my 'generation'. But the rubbish he was spouting just seemed, if you'll forgive the word, irrelevant.

But Gen X I am indeed. Raised on Saturday morning cartoons (Go Speed Racer!), the "Divorced Kids" encounter groups at the Y ("Share with the group how it made you feel when your mother told you she was getting divorced..." not kidding), indoctrination in sexual perversion (anyone remember "Free to be you and me"?) pop-psych group therapy and Cold War night terrors.

I've been listening to Nirvana all afternoon while doing the LifeSiteing and I've just noticed something. Kurt Cobain (remember him?) was my age, or a year younger. He was raised in almost exactly the same circumstances and grew up a hundred miles away from where I did.

Wiki:
Cobain's life changed dramatically at the age of seven when his parents divorced in 1975, an event which he later cited as having a profound impact on his life. His mother noted that his personality changed dramatically, with Cobain becoming more withdrawn. In a 1993 interview, Cobain said, "I remember feeling ashamed, for some reason. I was ashamed of my parents. I couldn't face some of my friends at school anymore, because I desperately wanted to have the classic, you know, typical family. Mother, father. I wanted that security, so I resented my parents for quite a few years because of that." After a year spent living with his mother following the divorce, Cobain moved to Montesano, Washington to live with his father, but after a few years his youthful rebellion became too overwhelming and he found himself being shuffled between friends and family.
He was just a kid when he killed himself (yes, he did, and who could be surprised) and so was I. I remember it pretty well. I was living in North Vancouver and working at the North Shore Studios doing short-term wardrobe work and trying to get off the damn IATSE permitee list (never managed it...everyone wanted to be in that union and it was deuced difficult). I was spending a lot of time wondering what had happened to us all. I recall thinking that something appalling had been going on and no one really knew what it was.

It seems absurd to talk about a rock star as an "icon of a generation", absurd even to talk about rock stars as if they matter, but the truth is that his life was a kind of TV miniseries of what happens to people when they grow up the way we did. This is what the sexual revolution hath wrought and the kids don't seem too happy about it, if you ask me.



This is what happens when you do to people what has been done to the children of the late 20th century.

I had a brief conversation with a chap in BC today who does pro-life political work there. He's about twenty years older than me and gets on my nerves. He's a typical BC ex-hippie convert, still trying to be cool while being Christian (Catholic, gawdhelpus) and every time I talk to him I want to yell at him, "Look, just shut the hell up will you? You people are the ones who did this to us."

Every generation needs an angry young man who commits suicide and cuts off a promising artistic career, if only as a warning to parents.

4 comments:

Zach said...

Gaaah!!! You mean I'm supposed to be GenX? I had always hoped I was just old enough to miss that demographic.

peace,

Iohannes Carolus Crassus said...

"Promising artistic carreer??" Well I am the one that must be high on crack and not Mr. Cobain, may God have mercy on his soul. Just so you wouldn't accuse me of having a kneejerk snob reaction, I actually bothered to turn on your video for a few min. What did I hear? The first theme, if we can call it that, is composed of four wee little bars, the first and third identical, and second and forth almost identical but for one note--that is repeated SIX times monophonically (all the "intruments" are playing the same 20 notes or so.) Then we get to theme two, which is about just as creative as number 1. It consists of a drum beat of short short long (OOOOOOoooooo sounds like morse, code, is he saying something??) ocassionally interrupted by two notes ascending on the "guitar". THAT is repeated about 40 times. I stopped counting around then, but no matter because after having sufffered a brain hemorrhage, or perhaps turrets's syndrome and Mr. Cobain had been saying "Hello" 16 times, he comes back screeming like a banshee. The timbre of the ensemble is. of course, less than ideal, since it seems to have been purposefully chosen be as dissonant as possible. And did I say sing, I really meant scream, where concepts like pitch and key have no place. I am sure the "lyrics" are none too porfound, but probably blasphemous so I haven't bothered to really listen. Shall I go on? The nonesense clothing and sets? No need since you alredy have better opinions and practices than me on dressing and interior decor. This stuff is fulthy, stanic garbage that gives me the creeps us much as when you dragged me to the park on "THAT" day.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

I live to shock you GC, but I have to say, it's not a big challenge.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

...and I told you. I warned you didin't I?

Geese are EVIL. They are not like ducks.

Ducks are nice.