Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Good Life

All this talk about farming and back-to-the-landing and being out doors and seeing the light of a bonfire flickering in the eyes of an innocent child while singing Panis Angelicus, is making me...

hungry.

I think I'll stop by that Philipino place on the way home and pick up some of that great fried fish, and maybe I'll get some mushroom perogies from the Polish deli while I'm at it and possibly a few mangos for dessert. Yessiree, can't wait to tuck into my deliciousforeignfoodthatIcouldn'tgetinsomemiserablehicktown while I peruse the rare book I picked up for a song last week at Crux Discount Theological Bookstore at the largest university in the country.

Gosh, yes. Those big city amenities are a pain aren't they? I feel so deprived of...

the...

ummm...

mosquito bites.

Steve, I'll tell you what I know about Nature. If it is uncontained, in, say, a terrarium or flowerpot, it is nearly always trying to either crawl on you, eat you, or mate with or on you. Nature is not nice.

(Wake me up when someone starts quoting me again.)

2 comments:

Steve said...

Did I say I don't want any access to the city?

I love all of those things too. My ideal is to have a rural life with access to a metropolitan area for the other things.

I am undecided on the right mix, but I hardly want to deprive my children (or my wife and I) from the good things cities have to offer. Symphonies, Operas, Ethnic Food, Historical Districts, Museums - they all have value.

What I've been saying is that I want to live away from it and thereby control which influences get in.

I'm not ready to grow a long beard and wear nothing but home-spun flannel. I am still a cultural snob and an aesthete.

Here in Virginia (where I doubt we'll stay if we pull this off, due tot he expense) you can be on a beautiful farm but in DC within about an hour.

A number of cities are like that. Pittsburgh comes to mind.

I'm curious about Jeff's thoughts on this.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

I am still a cultural snob and an aesthete.

I'm greatly relievd to hear it!