Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Walk in the Cheshire Countryside II

Clamoured over the stile, managing neither to catch my skirt on the fence nor sting my delicate ankles on the abundant nettles.

Wandered along on the footpaths, stopping every ten feet or so to gather up another handful of blackberries. By the end of the ramble I'd probably eaten at least half my weight in blackberries.

Rounded a corner and suprised a cow conference.



Only had time for a short speech before I had to go on. Castle to find. (Besides, I'm fairly sure the cows are Labour supporters.)

Generally wandering towards the ridge, frightened many pheasants (no, I said "pheasants" not "peasants". Peasants are extinct) and thought I'd have to buy a gun and join a shooting club at the earliest opportunity.

Futher on, discovered a mere, crossed by a very lovely stone bridge. Many ducks were present but, since I find duck heckling quite irritating and they looked like they were in an ugly mood.
Besides, the ducks are are more or less on side but have very strong views on banning blood sports, and I didn't want an argument.

Castle to find.

Hiked up past the mere and discovered the secret door. I'm fairly sure it was the door either to Narnia or somewhere equally nice, but though I could unlatch the bolt, the door wouldn't budge. I'll have to come back with a spade and dig around the footing to loosen up the soil blocking it.

Despite my failure to get into the magic fairy kingdom, I did manage, at last, to find the castle.





Looking out over the Cheshire plain towards Chester.

No comments: