Saturday, June 2, 2007

Of course, I've been wrong before

Damian Thompson seems to think I am this time:

To my mind, this Mass, in which the celebrant says the Latin words of the canon sotto voce – the “blessed mutter” – is one of the most profound and numinous experiences in the history of worship, so different from the game-show mateyness of modern services.

I hope the media will grasp the magnitude of the cultural shift signified by Benedict’s decision to restore parity to the Old Rite, and will put the Bishops of England and Wales (and those of America and Europe) on the spot.


in fact, this latest flurry of rumours seems to have popped up all over the 'sphere in what seems like the last ten seconds.

Heh. I like "game show mateyness". I'm sure I wouldn't like Damian Thompson if I met him though.

No comments: