Friday, June 1, 2007

Hey Vick,

Remember these guys?



I found a whole bunch of Cub vids at Youtube. Golly! I feel like I'm 25 again!

I even briefly had a boyfriend who was a bassist in a band. Went to quite a few club gigs in Victoria and Vancouver and what we used to call "empty space" gigs. These were just warehouse nights where a startup band would rent a warehouse, or if they had already signed one of the indie labels like Mint, the label would rent the space, and you'd go around town putting up handbills and tell all your friends. The door was five bucks and there were no drinks allowed but people brought them anyway. It was usually done to promote the band and it was always a bunch of people you knew so they were really fun and informal. I got my foot broken at one once.

The rule was that you didn't wear your glasses, your watch, or carry any change or a purse. Everything had to be in your front jeans pocket or it would come flying out or someone would pick your pocket.

There was a band called Squidsomething or Somethingsquid that I liked. And the something-Crows, I can't remember, but they had a fabulous song called "The Thousand sons of Captain Kirk."

My friend Steve Gray was a drummer in one of these bands. I went to all of their gigs.

I was just wasting a bunch of time looking down a list of Canadian bands. Every one I recognized was an indie or punk, garage or grunge band from Vancouver. I must have been in a 'scene' without noticing.

Heh. I had a life once. Wonder what happened?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You came to your senses?

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Figured I couldn't stay 20 forever I guess.

Iohannes Carolus Crassus said...

!!!
When I feel like reminiscing about my childhood I buy frootloops or luckycharms and have about 3 bowls of it in one go. That is nowhere near as unhealthy as your trips down memory lane, I am sure!

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

...and buy lottery tickets. Soooo much more vituous.