Thursday, April 26, 2007

Become the book

A few weeks ago, a friend was sent an email from an earnest young chap who asked, "What can young people do who want to restore the Before Time? It was all stolen from us and for the most part, we have only the barest glimmer of what it was all like and hardly know what it is that we have lost."

My friend wrote a lengthy reply that I thought was rather beside the point and failed to give the poor chap a straightforward answer. But I thought of one instantly: Become the living embodiment of the thing you are trying to restore.

I thought of a scientifiction novel by the great Ray Bradbury, Farenheit 451 about a future society in which books, other than girlie magazines, are entirely banned, everyone is addicted to television and sports and is more or less incapable of reasoned criticism. The main character meets a pretty girl who is a clandestine reader/book-owner, and when she is killed, flees to the fringes of society where he finds her book-loving friends engaged in archiving the literature, history and philosophy of the past.

Their method, knowing that the books themselves could all be destroyed, is to become the books. Each picks one and memorizes it, the entire thing, calling on memory skills that are latent in the human mind, even the mind of distracted Westerners. Each becomes a living archive of the past.

I gave the following response to my friend who forwarded the poor young chap's email:

Step one: become a traditional Christian. Practice that faith in as muscular a way as you can manage. Learn everything there is to know about the Christian traditions. Be Christian on purpose and as forcefullly and energetically as you can.

Step two: forcefully purge all modernist and postmodern ideas from your mental landscape. (This may take many years, but is a most enjoyable exercise.)

Step three: Quit University immediately if you are in. Run! If not yet in, abandon any idea of going to University. (If you have already gone to University, go to confession and forget all about it.)

Step four: begin to read the Classics of Western Civilization in philosophy and literature, starting with the Greeks and working your way up through the late antiquity guys, into Augustine then on to the Scholastics. When you get to the end of the 15th century, stop. Skip on to Newman. Stop. Skip again to Chesterton and Dawson. Stop again. Skip to Mortimer Adler and Gilson.

Step five: Stop reading and learn to sing, play an instrument, paint or do calligraphy (only one of these, not all at once.)

Step six: Get married to a practising member of your church.

Step seven: Have a lot of children.

Step eight: Teach them all that stuff you've just learned.

Step nine: Make sure you go to heaven and take as many others with you as you can.

Thats it.


* ~ * ~ *

I might add another, lesser step. Become ordinately attached to the things of the past. The material objects, that is. They are almost always more beautiful, more representative of The Good than anything made after 1960, and more solidly built. We are physical beings, sacramentality is important, and if the things we see every day, the things we wear, eat and use are material contradictions to the things you are trying to force into your brain, you are at a disadvantage.

Such attachments, however, can lead to small confusions. I still sometimes unconsciously reach for the carriage handle to push it back when the cursor reaches the right edge of the screen, and occasionally try to flip over a CD when it comes to the end.

12 comments:

Jeff Culbreath said...

Good post, will comment when free again. Thanks for the invite!

DP said...

Become a monastery.

IOW, a center preserving cult, culture and civilization. Collect and preserve the true, the good and the beautiful for the time when people recoover their good sense and realize they need these things again.

More explanation later--busy for now.

Thanks also for the invitation.

Zach said...

Dale,

So that explains the books!!

More seriously: I feed my book addition for a while with classics that I have yet to read, on the notion that I probably ought to get to them someday.

Later, I began purging -- after all, isn't that what libraries are for? "Besides," that little voice in my head said, "what do you think you're doing? It's not as if you're going to need to rebuild Western civilization out of the contents of your library."

Most recently, another little voice inside my head has been whispering back "Oh really? Are you so sure you won't?"


peace,

Zach said...

And Hilary, thanks for the invitation. I am flattered and grateful to be part of this little secret society of conspirators.


peace,

Jeff Culbreath said...

The nine steps are excellent. Can I post these on my blog? With attribution?

I would add a tenth, or maybe just elaborate on what's there: Attach yourself to a living, breathing, established community.

Joining a parish church is implied in your steps and is a good place to start. But I'm talking about something more. Make sure that your great-grandchildren, and their friends and neighbors, will likely be buried in the same cemetery as you are.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Jeff:

yes.

Jeremy said...

Beautiful.

I'm tied in knots about university, though. It was my time there that led me to step four, thus on to steps one and two, and therefore allows me hope for achieving step nine.

I'm also quite likely to owe University for steps seven and eight.

I do heartily endorse the general point that modern universities aren't ordinarily places that help souls. Nevertheless, it was at university that I met a professor who loved Sacred Scripture, Virgil, Dante, Shakespeare, Chesterton, and Waugh with a flaming heart. It was there that I made friends who would rather drink wine, attend Evensong, and discuss ideas than thrash about like lobotomised idiots to sixth-rate music. It was there, by truly looking into history, that my love for the quality of what had been was solidified. It was there that I spent time in pre-collapse churches and hearing Mass. It was there God gifted me the love of and for a magnificent woman. It was there, thanks to all of those things, that God brought me into His Church.

I see now that I was given a great and uncommon grace, to find there that, as Auden put it:
"Ironic points of light
flash out wherever the just
exchange their messages."

I suppose that seeing that is why I'm going back for more. With some limited experience, I still hope that the flashing lights will not be overcome by the darkness of university. That they--that I--might yet reach another lost one stumbling through the blasted post-modern, anti-intellectual, and anti-human heath that is the Academy with the foolish sense of loving truth.

There's some realism in me yet, though, so I'm quite sure my sharp optimism will be rather blunted the first time I have to argue with some shaggy-haired faux-hippie in a Che shirt.

Jeremy said...

Oops. Please read step six in before seven and eight in my comment. My skipping that one would be rather indecent, I should think.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Jeremy,

many of us are called to be counter intelligence operatives working behind enemy lines. I don't envy you.

Unknown said...

It is possible to be an autodidact, but it also produces some quirky and lamentable faults of scholarship, a certain lack of tact and taste, etc. Why not stay in a university for awhile? After all, it makes possible a not inconsiderable amount of leisure and intellectual activity, and where else will you rush off to? Also, after awhile there is no harm in reading some "modern, revolutionary" writers, especially the greatest. How else will you root out their influence? Ignorance is not necessarily innocence.

Unknown said...

Also patronise fellow-Fogeys: Evelyn Waugh, John Betjeman, Lord Salisbury, Dr Johnson, Cobbett, Trollope, G. K. Chesterton, P. G. Wodehouse, George Orwell, Dickens, Smollett, Jane Austen, Matthew Arnold, Walter Scott, Surtees, H. Seton Merriman, Kipling, William Morris, John Ruskin, Pugin, Wyatt, Nash, Lutyens, Elgar, Vaughan-Williams, L. P. Hartley, Dorothy L. Sayers, Molly Keane, Barbara Pyn, Graham Greene, Anthony Powell, Dick Francis, Michael Wharton, James Lees-Milne, A. A. Milne, J. G. Farrell, Terence de Vere White, Edward Ardizzone, John Piper, Lynton Lamb, Eric Newby, Patrick Leigh Fermor, Fitzroy McLean, Dame Freya Stark.

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

You do realize that I just made these steps up off the top of my head as I was writing them, right? I mean, you're not going to go writing them into a rule of life and founding a Secular Institute based on them, right?