Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Getting back to Latin



First lesson by correspondence:

I have attached the Lesson in pdf. Begin at your own peril; proceed at your own pace. (But remember that it is impossible to master anything without constant application) An e-mail with your answers shall be answered with my corrections and another lesson. Remember to ask questions about anything you like; if you don't ask questions I can't help you!

First question:

1. In your dictionary (you should have a print version but the great Lewis and Short
is online http://www.perseus.org/cgi-bin/resolveform) the verb “vulgo” means
what?

HJMW: "I vulg" or "I am vulging"

from the verb "to vulg" which means...errr...to do socially odious things on the subway in front of little old ladies/nuns.

A bit like "vogueing" but less arty.

No comments: