Friday, March 21, 2008

Nettled

Well, as we have read elsewhere, the jelly was a bust, but not to be deterred, I've tried nettles.

Went collecting today with the Norfolk jacked Uncle Mike gave me (that thing could probably stand up on its own and very likely deflect bullets. At least, it certainly was entirely proof against the very cold wind today).

Just for starters, I collected a shopping bag's worth and carted them home. Washed in cold water with rubber gloves on and sauteed in a hot pan with olive oil and a crushed garlic clove. And they were GREAT. Very much in the spinach line, but with a nice subtle mushroomy flavour and a much nicer texture, given by the little hairs that normally deliver the sting.




mmmmmm...good.

(I have to admit though, that before getting outside them, I did give them a little poke with my ungloved fingertip. I'm not crazy, after all.)

No comments: